luscious and decadent
I've had this recipe for years now so, unfortunately, I'm not sure where I initially got it from. It originally called for a store-bought graham cracker crust (which is how you can make it in 10 minutes) but I prefer to spend a few more minutes and make a gluten-free crust which was modified from Fat FreeVegan's oatmeal cookie crust.
Chocolate Creme Pie
- 1 vegan pie crust (store-bought graham cracker or use recipe below)
**If you're using a pre-made crust, proceed with the filling. If you're making the oatmeal cookie crust, make the crust first so you can make the filling while the crust is baking.**
- 2 boxes silken extra-firm tofu
- 12 ounces dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (in a pinch I've also used agave as well as granulated sugar and it turned out fine)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- OPTIONAL (I don't usually add these) to taste liqueur of choice (like Amaretto and Kahlua) or instant coffee granules (Starbucks VIA works great here)
- Place silken tofu into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Melt chocolate chips in a double-boiler or microwave (if you use the microwave, do 30 seconds at a time and then stir).
- Add melted chocolate chips to tofu and blend.
- Add maple syrup, vanilla extract, liqueur or instant coffee (if using) and blend, scraping sides if necessary to make sure everything is incorporated.
- Spoon chocolate tofu mixture into pie crust.
- Chill pie until ready to serve (4-6 hours is perfect).
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour (may use a wheat flour if you're not concerned about gluten)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly oil a 9-inch pie pan.
- Put the oats into a food processor and process until it's flour. Add the remaining dry ingredients and blend. Drizzle in the oil as you're pulsing the mixture. When it's thoroughly wet but still crumbly it's done.
- Put the mixture into the pie pan, and starting at the center, flatten and press it with your fingers until it covers the bottom and extends up the sides.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until it it is crisp but not overdone.