a tangy, versatile cream
This vegan sour cream doesn't taste exactly like sour cream but it has a thick and creamy texture and a wonderfully tangy flavor. I've used it everywhere I would have used sour cream (except for baking) and it's been a terrific alternative. In the photo above, I put a dollop of it on top of this delicious Butternut Squash, Chickpea and Red Lentil Stew instead of the yogurt the recipe originally called for.
After hanging out in the refrigerator it does thicken up a little bit, so if you add some herbs and seasonings, it'll make a killer dip or sandwich spread.
Vegan Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1 cup cold water
- 8 ounces Mori-Nu silken, firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
[modified from this recipe]
- Soak cashews in the water for at least 1/2 hour.
- Drain water.
- Add cashews to food processor and process until it's as smooth as you can get it, stopping to scrape down the sides as necessary.
- Add the tofu, lemon juice, rice vinegar and salt and process until smooth.
- Slowly drizzle in canola oil.
- Refrigerate until you're ready to use it.