a great weeknight dinner
Usually I make my own polenta because it is so simple but a while back I purchased a tube of pre-made polenta from Trader Joe's to have on hand when I wanted something quick to make for dinner. The other night was one of those nights.
I threw this entire meal together, from taking my ingredients out of the fridge to sitting down at the table, in less than 30 minutes. I appreciate it for being quick and easy, however, if you have extra time on your hands, you can make your own polenta and/or marinara sauce.
Grilled Polenta with Spring Vegetables
- 1 tube of polenta
- 20 stalks of asparagus
- 10 baby bella mushrooms
- 1 leek, white part only
- 2 cloves garlic
- generous sprinkle of no-salt seasoning (I use Kirkland's organic no-salt seasoning)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups of jarred marinara sauce
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
This would also probably be really delicious with the addition of some spinach or other greens and/or chickpeas.
- Heat up grill (I use my little George Foreman). Meanwhile, slice polenta into 8 even rounds. Brush each slice with a little olive oil, sprinkle with some no-salt seasoning or dried herbs of your choice and put on grill to start cooking.
- Cut asparagus into 1 inch pieces and steam.
- Heat marinara sauce.
- While asparagus is steaming and marinara sauce is heating, chop the mushrooms, slice the leek and mince the garlic.
- When asparagus is tender, remove from pan. Drain out water and add a drizzle of olive oil. Once oil is heated, add mushrooms and leek and saute.
- When the mushrooms have lost most of their liquid and the leek is soft, add the asparagus, garlic, salt, pepper and no-salt seasoning. Continue cooking for another minute or two.
- By now, your polenta should be fully grilled.
- On each plate, pour 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce. On top of the sauce add two rounds of polenta. On top of the polenta add 1/4 of the vegetable mixture. On top of the vegetables add 1-2 tablespoons vegan sour cream.